Keeping up with all the changes happening with Clash Royale is starting to become a full time job, but I’m definitely not complaining about it because these changes are GREAT! Here’s a recap of all the announcements that were just made, and my thoughts on each one:
LEGENDARY ARENA & SEASONS
– Legendary Arena: Unlocks at 3000 Trophies
– Seasons: Every two weeks, players above 3000 Trophies will be reset to 3000 and all deducted Trophies will be awarded as Legend Trophies!
MoEsport: As of now, there are only 29 players who have reached 3000 trophies, and this will give many players a lot more incentive to push for that magic number. I’m curious to find out more about what Legend Trophies will be for – are they just for bragging rights, or will the accumulation of them perhaps qualify you for a future World Tournament??
– Tournament Rules: Friendly Battles will use the all-new “Tournament Standard” level caps for truly fair-play matches! The level caps are: King & Crown Towers 8, Common Cards 8, Rares 6, Epics 3 and overtime lasts for 3 minutes. Have fun organizing your own tournaments!
– Why did we choose to cap cards, rather than normalizing everyone’s cards for Friendly Battles? We still want people to feel the incentive to collect and upgrade all the cards they may want to use in a tournament.
– Why did we choose levels: Common 8, Rare 6 and Epic 3? It should take roughly 3 months of playing to get a bunch of cards to these levels without paying anything, and we thought that was a good amount of time for players to get a solid understanding of the game before thinking about moving into the realm of competitive tournaments.
MoEsport: I am PSYCHED about the tournaments, and can’t wait to start organizing them! Once the details on how to organize tournaments become more clear, I will set up a tournament listing on this site on a dedicated Clash Royale tournaments page, so be sure to check back next week!
One interesting takeaway here is the Clash Royale team pointing out that it takes about 3 months to reach the newly assigned level caps without paying anything, which I think is more than fair considering that it takes about the same amount of time to accumulate enough cards for a competitive deck in Hearthstone.
– Battle Cost: We’re removing the Gold cost for Battles and Friendly Battles (thanks for your feedback on this one!)
– Chest Gold: To keep the Gold economy intact and compensate for the free Battles, chests will give slightly less Gold
– Balance: We’re re-balancing a bunch of cards, check out the Balance Changes in Context to find out more
MoEsport: I already talked about the Balance Changes here so check it out if you haven’t already. One of the biggest complains about the game is the currency sink for friendly matches, so it’s great that Clan members can now practice with each other without worrying about not having enough coins for cards/upgrades. Don’t like that the Clash Royale team decided to go cheap on us in decreasing the Gold from chests though. I wonder how much “slightly less” actually is….
– Death Damage: Balloon, Giant Skeleton and Golem death damage will be shown on their card info screens
– Notifications: Classier in-game notification pop-ups
– Local Notifications: New card request available, Crown Chest available and second Free Chest available notifications
– Push Notifications: New “A Clanmate’s battle is now featured in TV Royale!” notification
– Bugs: Stuck Witches, iMessage issues and many more fixes are incoming
MoEsport: Mostly just you standard stuff here. I hope that one day my clan members will get a push notification of me being featured on TV Royale (just another 1000 or so trophies!!)