Odds for Epics AND Legendary Cards in Clash Royale

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 12.25.28 AM

Our first ever article in MoEsport was about the odds for landing Epic cards in Clash Royale’s treasure chests when they are not guaranteed (you can revisit the article here).  With the introduction of Legendary cards, some very lucky players have noted that they were able to find Ice Wizard and Princess in just ordinary chests.  So what are the odds exactly for players to be able to land these ultra rare cards?  In Supercell’s recent post explaining Chest Rewards, it appears that they have answered the question:

Card Rarity

• Rare Cards are 10 times rarer than Common Cards
  • Epic Cards are 20 times rarer than Rare Cards
  • Legendary Cards are 20 times rarer than Epic Cards

If we convert these into percentages, then the follow will be the odds for landing each rarity of card:

• Common: 90.48%
  • Rare: 9.05%
  • Epic: 0.45%
  • Legendary: 0.02%

chests_embed

To put this into perspective, that means a player has roughly the chance of receiving one Legendary for every 5000 cards he/she receives!  Say that you are in Arena 6 and receive 9 cards per Silver Chest, you then have roughly a 1/555 chance to get a Legendary.

While there is no confirmation for this, we are almost certain that Magical Chest and Super Magical Chests may be an exception to this.  Supercell has stated that Super Magical Chests gives player the best odds for Legendaries, and while that would already be true simply based on the fact that you get the most cards from Super Magical Chests, the high number of guaranteed Epics should also translate to a high probability for landing Legendaries.

Be sure to Like us of Facebook or Follow us on Twitter for all the latest in Clash Royale and mobile eSports!

132 Comments

1. Pingback: Odds For Epic Cards |

2. TheJohnstar

MAY I SAY THAT I GOT SPARKY YESTERDAY IN A SILVER CHEST AND THE ICE WIZARD IN A GOLD CHEST TODAY IN THE MORNING, AND I’M IN BUILDER’S WORKSHOP (ARENA 6)!!

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Congrats TheJohnstar! That’s 2 more Legendaries than my main and 2nd account combined 🙁

1. Ben

I have got a miner in a free chest and a princess in a crown chest!!!

1. Bob

I got a MINER FROM A free chest too!

2. Juan

I just got miner from a super magical chest

congrats!

1. YoYo1326

this sucks im in builders and I got no legendaries

2. Ryan

What… I’m in legendary arena 3200 trophies sometimes higher sometimes lower. Not one legendary. All I want is the ice wizard and I haven’t even got a legendary to buy in my shop and I’ve been here for 3 weeks. U are one lucky person

1. Aaron

You don’t get legendarys in the shop if you haven’t unlocked them via chests so if you get ice wiz in a chest then you have a chance of seeing him in the shop

1. Evan Castro

That is incorrect. You can always see every legendary in the shop even if you don’t already have one.

2. Danny

You’re so wrong on that lmao. I’ve bought my princess and sparky from the store, and I didn’t even unlock them before that.

3. Justin

Definitely not true. I’ve been able to buy all three legendaries that don’t already have. I just don’t want to drop $20 to buy them 🙂

4. Lodzy

False… I don’t have single legendary card but princess and lava showed up in the shop while I was in legendary arena. Sadly didn’t have enough coins to buy it! 40k is outrageous for f2p and unlucky players… Lol

1. SinceDayOne

Never EVER give up! Thats what I did. All my friends were getting ice wizard, lava hound, and I was sitting at nothing. Then 2 weeks ago I got the log out of a crown chest and today got the miner in a magical chest.

2. Migz

I’m in legendary arena around your trophies been there for about 3 weeks aswell and I have a lvl 2 princess, lvl 2 sparky, lvl 1 miner, and lvl 1 ice wizard and have not bought any gems. So I call bs on your claim cause even my friends in royals and builders have atleast 1 legendary.

1. pikachuIzCool

Sure like that 6 legendaries wasn’t just luck times 1000000000000

3. Colin

Buy yourself a magical chest my friend and I did a test and bought 4 magical chests each, each one contained a legendary, I got 2 princesses and 2 ice wizards

4. Mr wan

That sucks that you don’t have a legendary, statistically, the more legendaries you have tbe higher chance they are to appear in the shop. I personally have 6 legendaries

3. brayden brooks

wow lucky i got the lava hound and miner but i bought 3 super magical chests and i got the 2 i didn’t want i want all of them except for the ones i got i am so unlucky i have never got any for free

1. John Cena

The miner is really good if used right braydon

4. YouPOS

May I say “Up ***** you piece of **** noob ****” I’m climbing close to level 10 and still no Legendary.

5. bill

I JUST GOT A SPARKY FROM A CROWN CHEST

Congrats Bill!

6. Pekka0123

Wow, well I disagree with 1 per 5000 cards I got like googol with is 1,0×100 meaning one hundred zeros, in arena 6 and nothing.😪 now I’m in arena 7 so hopefully I get one. I really want the princess!

7. Ray

I bought a super magical and got 13 epics but no legendary and I am in arena 5. WHAAAATTTT! Waste of 5 dollars.

1. Storm

The lower arena you are also has lower chance. Statistically speaking someone in Arena 7/8 has more chance to get a legendary in a chest than you because you only have access to such few.

8. Altur

I have sparky , i get from giant chest
      And i have lava hound from magical chest

1. Jackson

I got the sparky from the free chest and that was when I am in arena 6. Now in arena 7 I wish to get the princess or the ice wizard to combo with the sparky.

9. Lucifer

lucky u I got a level 1 lavahound, level 1 lumberjack, level 3 log, level 1 miner and level 2 sparky

What I want is the ice wizard and princess

1. Clash royaler

U are a spoiled brat u got a lvl 3 legendary and u are mad that u don’t have ice wiz/princess
        That is such a spoiled brat

3. Pingback: Clash Royale tweaks max level caps to better reflect tournament play |

4. Dark Angel

i got lava hound from free chest on 15/05/2016 and sparky on 18/05/2016 again from free chest. felt so lucky.

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Nice, congrats Dark Angel!

1. X

Cool

2. Dark Angel

Got miner from Crown chest on 29/6/2016..wow

2. Rick

Lucky bro, none for me I’m gonna quit playing because some, like you, have gotten 2 free ones and people like me never get one….

1. Anthony

I fell the same way I have 779 wins and I still have not got one either

2. hama

i have 1000 wins still didnt got any fuckin legendery fuck this game

1. Shane

I have 950 wins 400 of them 3 crown mostly only play when I have an open chest slot because I’ll spend $5 on gems to open silver chests during the day , 2850 crowns no fucking legendary or super magical chest yet. Everyone I face now has legendaries or 2 or 3. Yes fuck. This. Game.

1. Wagonut (Post author)

I was on the same boat once too. I have Legendaries now but I actually don’t use them. You don’t need Legendaries to win in this game 🙂

2. $ri

yea same here 2790 trophies 900 wins 500 3 crown wins, still no fuckin legendary or supermagical. and playn against 2-3 legendaries at the same time. supercell needs to use some brain here instead telling every thing random they have to make some sense to sound atleast. almost 80% of deserved players are not getting legendaries. fuk this shit

3. Astroman

Im starting to hate this game because no legendary yet and my clanmatewith 3 legendary that’s so unfair

2. Yes

I just got a sparky i have 1500 wins

3. nate

Yeah I agree the odds apparently don’t apply to me. I been playing since day one and have opened enough chest to lvl up all my cards to at least lvl 9 ..0 legendarys .it pisses me off so bad to play someone with 3 legendary cards in one deck

3. Fromessa

I’ve gotten 2 lavahounds, 1 sparky,and 1 log. All from free chests

5. Rick

I have no legendary cards as of yet, lvl 9, close to 500 wins and nothing….it’s upsetting me personally. Everyone I talk to has one either from a free or frown chest.

1. Wagonut (Post author)

FYI I’ve been playing since almost Day 1 and only got my first one (Lava Hound) a few days ago! Don’t give up Rick, you don’t need Legendaries to win anyway 🙂

1. AJollyWalrus

My friend got his first legendary in crown chest. A lava hound which he never uses. When he started to give up on lava hound… He got amother one from a wooden chest and he only in pekkas playhouse. Couldnt buy it lol. It was funny really

2. Sean

Yes you I’m in royale arena and I get destroyed by sparkys all the time and lavahound

1. NoLegendaries

Honestly, Sean, for sparkys all you have to do is spam them with air troops or if u dont have any of those, then just surround the sparky with a group card like barbarians bc if u do it right, the sparky will only attack/damage one of them giving the others time to destroy it; but seriously i have benn playing since day 1 and i have ZERO legendaries; its annoying bc i cant stay in arena 6/7 as everyone i face has at LEAST one legendary even if it is a miner. I SWEAR THE DEVELOPERS ARE HATING ON ME

2. Savagestewart

Level 9 over 1100 wins and no legends for me neither

1. Dark Deamon

I’m lvl 11 3500+ trophies and hasn’t gotten a legendary, the game is rigged and doesn’t let anyone have a fair game wen supercell is focusing on fair play

3. brayden brooks

same but i am not quiting

4. Jumping gollum

I got princess from a Free chest but the main reason people don’t get legendary is because if supercell just hand them out all the time nobody would buy so they wouldn’t make any money.

1. Jumping gollum

The point of the game is to frustrate you into buying gems and chests so you get legendaries if you don’t buy then you are beating supercell and getting them as annoyed as they are getting you.

6. The man

I got sparky and the lava hound form the same free chest

1. Wagonut (Post author)

That’s crazy! A SMC or just some regular chest?

2. Alexander Pearson

You can’t get multiple legendaries from 1 chest. Was it 2 different free chests?

7. ipiercedtheveil

everyone is getting their legendary from free chest and I’m here like i got mine from a magical chest lol

1. Engfredo

Same tho lol

8. Josiah

I have no legendaries but the 2nd and third guys in y clan each have one and they got them in free chests lol I’m lvl 9 they are 8 🙁 haha

9. Jasan_Harsh

I’m a level 8 in royal arena 2200 trophy range. I have exactly 630 wins and 1 level 3 epic and 8 level 2 epics and still haven’t gotten a legendary or any super magical chest

10. Matt

Im about ready to quit as well. The % are highly in favor of certain people and not others. Ive been playing since day 1. Have been in royale arena since feb/march. I have about 1000 wins opened idk how many super magical and magical chests plus countless others. Only got my first legendary few days ago. Doubt i will get another for another 6 months and that is if i play non stop every day like i have done so far. Game is very skewed in who gets what and if you are 2000+ trophies and dont have one its a joke to you since most people have 2-3 at least by that point. Game gets very tiring when all you play is people constantly usingn legendaries and you can even get one no matter what you do.

1. Matt

Also would like to point out im lv 9 half way to level 10.

2. Austin

I feel the exact same way man, at 2200 (been 2000+ for about a month and a half) and have got nothing. Getting tired of facing guys with 2 or 3 legendarily with some at level 2. It gets very frustrating considering how the odds should be that I’ve gotten one now with 570ish wins.

3. Luke

Bro, Matt, I feel ya. I have opened countless chests in arena 5, looking for a legendary. But bro, don’t quit, just because people spend hundreds of dollars on something you don’t have, you don’t need to quit. Besides, legend arise are not really OP, they are just strong, you would build a better deck without them.

4. Highlander

3000 k trophies 970 3 crowns and the princess turns up out of the blue in the Crown chest guys if every 1 had a legendary the would be a common card hold on in there they will come just enjoy the game. I felt the same but wanted to get up to 3k trophies without 1 I did got 1 then went back to 2600 so there not that good he he

5. Anton

I was ready to give up on clash royale but found a miner in a gold chest… About a month later I got another one from another gold chest. I was so excited!! I am 3000 xp into level nine and hovering around 2900…

11. Shane E Anderson

I have over 850 wins, level 9 and am up to 2700 trophies. I have not got a super magical or received a legendary and I am in the same boat where I am very upset about it. This sucks.

12. bobby

yeah i have 1250 wins, am stuck around 2500ish trophies and have gotten no legendaries to date. I”ve had one super magical chest in arena 5. I’ve gemmed $5 worth of gems so far and have mostly level 2 and 3 epics although my freeze is level 4. which doesn’t help much since it got nerfed by 1 full second. all the other level 7s and 8s in my clan have legendaries and I’m the only level 9 with out one. Fun!

13. alika

Yup I’m about done with this game to I’ve spent money to try and get at least one legendary an have nothing I’ve been arena7 forever an all the people below me have gotten one I’m almost lvl10 an just about over the fact if you spend a dime you’ll never get a legendary unless you keep spending.I’m close to $200 in an about over it

1. HK

Odds if getting a legendary in a super magical is around 30% in arena 7, means buying 3 of them shall give you 70% surety of finding one, that’s all on paper though.

14. Toast

I am level 9 and I have 1333 wins.I get legendaries GRRR

1. Toast

I get NO legendaries sorry autocorrect

15. HK

I found a princess in a giant chest, bt she had been never in my deck, i need an ice wizard, im level 8 in arena 7.

16. Ronin

Is game blows..,same here 2300pts and in arena lvl7 and keep fighting guys with 2-3 legendary card…sparky alone is invincible but facing sparky and ice wizard freezing my troops rediculous.

17. Matt

I got sparky in a crown chest the day the new legendaries came out, and I just found another one in a magical chest that I had won from battle. I just wish I had gotten the princess, but I can’t complain cuz I got a lvl 2 sparky!!!

1. Cale

You’re so lucky Matt, I wish I had sparky by itself, but level 2! Can’t complain that much though ‘cuz I just got back into arena 6 for the 3rd time after dropping back to arena 5.

18. Lukas

Dang bros I haven’t gotten any legendaries either, lvl 8 at 2200 trophies and it sucks, but at this point I think getting a legendary would screw my attack strategy so i dont know what I want. But I just got a magical chest and maybe it’ll be the one haha I doubt it tho

19. challita

I have 1000 win 370 3 crown 2700 trophies i play everyday and always get chests, i oppened 6 magical 4 giant and 1 super magical and i dont have any legendary.
    Please help

20. NU

All i need is a f***ing lvl 11 hog rider!

21. Dee's nuts

I am level 8, for ice wizard from crown chest, and am in arena 7

22. ttaM

I don’t hate this game, but I will admit it is a tiny bit frusterating not having any legendaries at 3408 trophies while others have all of them level 2 lol. But if I ever get Legendary I do not believe that I would actually use it

1. Wagonut (Post author)

+1 here. I miraculously got 2 Miners from free chests within 2 weeks (lvl 2) but still have opted not to use it. If I get Princess though, I might change my mind!

1. Anton

You should use the miner hog deck that I made (miner, hog, goblin barrel, fireball, valk, minion horde, inferno, and fire spirits) it got me to 3100.

23. Alex

Damnnnnn I am in arena 6, 1876 trophies, level 7, 560 wins, 209 3 crown wins, nothing. I want to buy an arena 6 supermagical but what are the odds of getting a legendary in here??

24. Nic

Im in arena 7 with no legendarys

25. Coby

Let me just say that I’m in legendary arena with 1,500 wins and have not gotten a legendary or a super magical chest

26. Coby

I’m also level 9 and play and open chests hourly

27. Rick

Lvl 9 in arena 7 2655 trophies, have all the cards but NO Legendaries, cards are 9/6/3,2 I’m F2P player, but today having been in royal arena for almost 2 months I just got a free SMC, I have my fingers crossed but the most of my luck went into getting it and there will most likely be no legendary in it

28. boss

this game is legit rediculous when it comes to legendarys.. ive been playing since release… ive been in arena 7 for MONTHS… ive opened 2 super magical chests and about 8 magical chests in arena 7… i have yet to get a legendary… then i see people in arena 5 with legendarys and it makes me want to quit.. maybe ill get lucky one day but i doubt that day will ever come

29. Manu Madhwal

Guys im a lvl 11 and i still dont have a legendary.I m surely gonna try hard to get it for free although i can buy one from the shop.But im a free to play player.

Check out my vids
    Just type in “manu madhwal” in youtube.like and subscribe for the 14000 gems give away

30. Jacob

I tried using the supposed “working”algorithm where you open a magical then a series of other chests to get the ice wizard.Of course,it didn’t work.Luckly i got the princess from the magical at the beginning and I have to say she makes a big difference.Because of her I’m close to arena 8 as a lvl9 player.I don’t think the other legendaries can change your game too much like the princess did.Anyways hope everybody gets the legendary they want.

31. Daniel

Well, 2119 wins of which 800+ are 3 crown, months in arena 7 and no legendaries when I got all other cards (even dark Prince, three musketeers, guards….. And they’re all leveled up)… I haven’t got any SMC but I got 6 magical ones till date, IDK if this is a curse or smthng.

32. Elijah

I dont have any legendaries and I feel like not having them makes you be smarter when u play. Still I really want the princess lol

33. Assassin's Night

In royal Arena, free to play player, all my epics are lvl 2, 4 lvl 3, and I have 0 legendarys. It’s just a game, so I’m not too upset, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed on my magical chest. 🙂

34. TurtwigData

I’m a Level 9 with over 1500 wins and consistently at 3100+ trophies, with card levels of 8/6/2. I’ve been playing since Android Soft Launch (February 16th) and have yet to receive a Super Magical Chest or a Legendary Card. It’s kind of unfair knowing that I could push much higher if I did have a Legendary. But it’s whatever.

35. YouPOS

I really don’t mind losing. I don’t mind not having a legendary. What I do mind is that there are people that have obviously spent a lot less time and money into the game that for some f***ing reason has better chances than me. How much f***ing time do I need to spend to get a legendary? Way too fucking much in my opinion.

1. Ishmam

Well I have been playing since soft launch (when only ios & a few countries had the game available) & I almost cried for not having a legendary. But I agree with u. Last month, when I was about to sleep at 11:15am, I openedmy free chest, I got the princess! & she helped me push to arena 8! I play like 5 – 9 hrs everyday & yet I don’t have more than 1 legendary.

However I have 5 accounts & my 5th one got a lava hound from a free chest & then…within seconds of reaching arena 6 (as a lvl 6) I got the miner from my first arena 6 crown chest! I stared at the screen open – mouthed for 10m, shocked.

My other 3 accounts have yet to get any.

Good luck to u on getting ur legendary. Hopefully it is one that u want or need 👍

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Why do you have 5 accounts Ishmam??

36. Marcus

Level 10 1650 wins currently 2900 and still no legendary or super magica

37. John

I feel like I had amazing luck. received a sparky from a free chest opening!!!!!!

38. Cale

I have no legendaries but I can’t complain that much cuz I barely got 1721 trophies and only 551 wins (308 three crowns). Hope I get lucky soon the sparky would KILL right now, not likely tho😂.

39. Elvis Garcia

Got a miner from magical and princess from a free like a month way from each other.

40. Vinnie Gampong

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog site is in the very same niche as yours and my users would definitely benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Appreciate it!

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Sure that should be fine 🙂

41. J to the Z royal beards clan

I have 3 accounts, 2 lvl 9’s and a 10. Been playing since the beginning of March and have 0 legendaries. Something needs to change soon or im done. I’m surprised I’ve made it this long.

42. iCookies4Days

I’ve sat at my desk for an hour just doing basic math. Call me crazy, but with a 0.022% chance to pull a legendary, you should get one for every 500 free chests opened. Check my math:

(Arena 7) Free chest has 9 cards. 9 times 0.00022(0.022% turned to a decimal) equals 0.00198. 0.00198 times 500 equals 0.99.

Pretty sure that is correct, and you receive a free chest every 4 hours. 500 times 4 equals 2000. 2000 divided by 24(number of hours in a day) equals 83.333. So technically every 84 days you should get about 1 legendary just from free chests. I could go on if anyone wanted me to, but this is just an example. I can do the math for any other chest if I am asked to, I just feel like this is already a long post.

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Appreciate you doing the math! The numbers sound about right – but keep in mind that this still does not guarantee that you’ll be getting 1 Legendary for every 500 chests. You can be lucky and get several (as some people here have shared), or be unlucky and get none.

43. Daniel

I’m level 5 and in Arena 3 and have been playing for about a week. I only have gotten 2 epics so far, however. I’m seeing people with 9 epics in total (counting upgraded cards) and 7 epics and 4 or 5 taht are lower levels. Have these people been gemming or have i just been very, very unlucky? PLEASE HELP!!!

1. Wagonut (Post author)

You just need to keep playing and collecting chests. This game is not friendly to new players right now 😛

44. Tad Sexington

I’ve got 1060 wins no legendary or smc, my friend in arena 3 gets a super magical chest, friends little brother gets the game ( about 8 years old) and gets super magical chest from his 8th battle… You have to be REALLY lucky or pay to get good cards and chests.

45. Pingback: Clash Royale developers address questions on gold shortage, win-trading, and other issues |

46. Trivy

I’ve been playing for 3 months and I have a level 1 log. Game hates me :/

Better than nothing!

47. Justin

I had just got an ice wizard and just wanted to know how rare it is…

1. Wagonut (Post author)
  48. Pingback: Clash Royale developers address questions on gold shortage, win-trading, and other issues – Clashr Royale Gems Generator

49. Shivansh J

I got my first legendary right away in arena 4 – The Lava Hound. I pushed to Arena 7 with Lava Hound and got another legendary today! The Princess! She’s AWESOME!

50. Anton Hammond

I have had 900 wins in frozen peak, spent £55 on the game and have got no legendary which I find bs, anyone got any tips on getting them?

51. Pingback: Legendary and Epic Chests Coming to Clash Royale |

52. Cole W.

I’m a decent level 10 with 1800 wins and am still yet to get my first legendary. Currently I’m in arena 8 and at least half of my opponents have one legendary or more in there decks. If they beat me, it’s usually because their ultra hard to find cards, pull them through

53. Pedram

i hvae 1979 win and opend three super majical chest but no legendry ….. im really unlucy person ….. i wanna uminstal this s*** game …. i dont know what to say f*** supercell

54. Titangod

Man oh man, my friend got a log from the free chest and I have none. Well guys don’t be sad super cells update gives a glimpse of legendary and epic chest, new cards and more. I’ll tell the updates:
    Legendary chest: consider you are in arena 2 you get a legendary chest. What’s special about it? Well, you can get 1 guaranteed legendary from any arena like the pricess. Way too cool
    Epic chest: contains only epic cards.
    New cards: mega minion- rare, inferno dragon- legendary and other two unconfirmed cards.
    And super cells gonna make legendary cards easier to get. YAY

55. Poisoned @ Bridge Crossers

Got a legendary chest special offer on my level 5 account that is currently in arena 6. Had to use most my gems I had saved to get it. Got the ice wizard. Wasn’t too excited to see that card pop up since that’s the only legendary I have on my level 10 in the 2900 trophy range. Oh well. Second battle with the ice wiz I land a super magical chest… No clue what supercell is trying to tell me there. It’ll be a troll chest just watch.

56. theshadow324

I had reached 3618 trophies without one legendary and then two days ago I got miner and sparky in free chests. That’s two legendaries in one day!

Awesome! Wish I had the same kind of luck 😛

57. Dylan

honestly, the chances of getting a legendary isnt that low. and buying them for 40k gold isnt that hard. Im a f2p player with 3 ice wiz, 3 lava hounds princes(bought), miner(bought) and a sparky. Considering that i got 2 ice wizs in 2 days kinda proves that it isnt that rare…unless im just super lucky

58. sdgasdg

U scrubs im in arena 9 with 1 legendary (princess)

59. Unfortunate Gamer

I Can’t Get any legendaries. Someone HELP ME. The only legendary I have is the log that I BOUGHT FROM A LEGENDARY CHEST. Need serious help.

60. Unfortunate Gamer