Everything you need to know about Clash Royale’s new Tournament mode

tournament chest

We are just one day away from the release of Clash Royale’s Tournament mode!  Here is everything that you need to know about this new game mode:

Unlocking Tournament Mode

Tournament mode is unlocked once a player’s Tower level reaches Level 8.

Tournament RulesScreen Shot 2016-07-03 at 10.35.29 AM

Player in the same tournament are randomly matched up against each other (in the same manner as ladder matchmaking) and compete for Tournament trophies within the duration of tournament.  Unlike ladder play, winners in Tournament matches will alway get more trophies than what the loser loses, so the overall trophy count will always continue to grow.  Final standings (and rewards) are determined based on Tournament trophy totals at the end of the Tournament.

Tournament Chest Opening Time

All pScreen Shot 2016-07-03 at 10.51.20 AMlayers will have one Tournament chest slot which can be unlocked in the same manner as the normal reward chests (Gems or time).  We do not have all the information on unlocking costs yet, but it is confirmed that it will take 2 weeks(!!!) or 2014 Gems to unlock the top Tournament chest (15,000 cards).  Players will not be able to compete in another tournament until the Tournament chest slot is freed up.

Cost of Hosting Tournaments

It’ll cost organizers at least 500 Gems to organize a tournament.  Below is the complete breakdown:

Cost Maximum Participants 1st Place Prize
500 Gems 50 Players 30 Cards
1000 Gems 80 Players 60 Cards
2000 Gems 120 Players 120 Cards
5000 Gems 200 Players 300 Cards
10000 Gems 300 Players 600 Cards
20000 Gems 500 Players 1200 Cards
50000 Gems 600 Players 3000 Cards
100000 Gems 800 Players 6000 Cards
250000 Gems 1000 Players 15000 Cards

Tournament Length

Tournaments can be set to last for the following durations:

• 1 hour
  • 2 hours
  • 3 hours
  • 4 hours
  • 8 hours
  • 1 day
  • 2 days
  • 3 days

Organizers can also set a preparation time (time before tournament goes live).  Players can join the tournament at anytime once the tournament is created – theoretically a player can join a tournament just one minute before it closes, given that there are still spots open!

Passwords can be set for Private Tournaments

For invitationals and players/organizations that want to host private tournaments, there’s an option to set a password as you are creating your tournament.

New Achievements for Tournaments

The three new achievements are:

• Tournament Rewards (for winning X amount of cards in Tournament play)
  • Tournament Host (for hosting X amount of Tournaments)
  • Tournament Player (for joining a Tournament)

Tournament Spectator Mode

Players will be able to spectate games from ALL tournaments, not just the ones they are participating in.

Be sure not to miss out on all of the action from Tournament Week starting tomorrow!

37 Comments

1. TJ

But what time does the update drop

2. Roger

I paid for gems to start a tournament. Do I get to keep the tournament for the gems I spent and just restart the tournament? I hope so as I spent $50.00 cash for this.

1. Tk

No you paid for a one time deal.

3. DuoFairview

If i joined a tourney with 3d length, does that mean i cannot join other tourney while at it????

Correct. I dropped out from a 300 card one after realizing that as well 😛

4. Soo

If i host a tournament and finish it( if i win or in not) do i get my 500 gem back ?

1. Wagonut (Post author)

You get 500 gems for hosting your first tournament (the accomplishment), but no more after that until the next accomplishment

5. dee

All the tournaments are always full… any time I check… how can I get in to one?

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Just keep refreshing and keep trying!

6. Rane

If I host a tournament, and no one else joins, do I get the top tournament chest? If not, how many participants do I need to have to get the tournament chests? Provided that I set a password for my tournament.

1. Wagonut (Post author)

At least one match needs to be played for you to have a chest. So if the tournament’s only you and another person, the 2 of you will get the 1st and 2nd place chest – but that’s not exactly worth the amount of Gems that you paid for!

1. Rane

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it very much. I posted this question because I want to host a tournament for my clan. Now one last question, for the smallest tournament, do I need to fill those 50 players or can we just play it with 20 persons? So every participant benefits from the tournament. Again, provided that I set a password exclusive only to my clanmates and/or friends.

7. AL

If there are no matches in the tournament, the creator will get a Gem refund…is that correct?

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Yes correct, but that’s very unlikely to happen it seems…

8. Vyne

Why is there unknown people in my tournament. I set a password

Someone leaked your password? 😛

9. Dave

Every time I try to join, it says it’s full. Even when it says their are only 1/50 players

10. Sonal

There was one space free in an open tournament but still I was not able to join. It kept saying tournament is full. My tower is at level eight. Please tell me what went wrong.

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Just keep trying! tournaments fill up in just a few seconds!

2. vamsi

It’s better to go to their clans and ask for password…..in that way i have participated in three tournaments…… Lol

11. Michaelo

Hit the search button to refresh the list and spam the join button to join a tournament. Keep doing this as the game only updates every so often and the tournaments can fill in less than a second.

12. vamsi

Is there any chance of getting legendaries in 30 cards chest………

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Same chance of you getting one from a free chest I suppose!

13. Nick

Don’t get it! Why would I host a tournament and pay 500 gems? First time I get it back. But second and third time I get nothing except the chance of winning prices as everyone else. What did I miss?

Thanks!

1. Wagonut (Post author)

I think moving forward tournament hosting will be mainly for streamers and organizations (such as MoEsport!) But I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes cheaper to host small tournaments in future updates.

2. Frankie

The first time because its a certain achievement. After that you just battle 4 chances to win.

14. Anna

Hi I have a question nothing to do with tournament. But my question is: in order to get a legendary card, do i have to clear everything before opening my magical chest, or i can just open my gold chest + leave my silver chests that I got before my magical chest? plz reply, thx a lot 🙂

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Hi Anna, it should make no difference. Legendary card drops are based purely on their drop rates – Magical chests have a higher chance of dropping Legendaries, but they are not guaranteed.

15. Pyro

Does duration of tournament affect chest prizes? Why enter a 3d tournament over a 1h?

1. Wagonut (Post author)

You can take your time to play 3d tournaments, while in a 1hr tournament you’ll probably need to play non-stop for an hour if you want a chance at the Top 5. But I think in general shorter tournaments are a lot more desirable.

16. DJ

What is benefit to the creator of tournament … why any one spend 500 gems for that ?? Give me reason ..

Because you feel generous? 🙂

17. Yonglogantamu

what will be the benefit for tournament hosters if they host tournaments?
    what your ans says….hosting tournament makes any profit for hosters or this is only a waste of gems by hosting tournament??
    please suggest

18. Valor

I want to ask if i create a tournament and set password and later after my friend join and i decide to open for public, removing the password can i still do that?

1. Wagonut (Post author)

Yes that should be no problem (although I haven’t tried it myself!)

19. Rakib

once I have heard if u host a tournament and you don’t play a single match..but others player do..then the creator will get back gems..is that true? will it work for the tournament after the first one that I host? answer soon please..

1. Wagonut (Post author)

I highly doubt this, but can not say for sure!